Managing Electrical Safety Hazards During Water Restoration in Raleigh
SERVPRO Provides Electrical Generators during Water Restoration in Raleigh
Commercial buildings in Raleigh present many different hazards during water restoration activities. Depending on the business, there may be various environmental hazards, including hazardous materials and chemicals that have been compromised, structural problems, and electrical issues from live circuits and equipment powered by electricity.
Live electrical circuits are particularly dangerous during water restoration in Raleigh commercial buildings. Water conducts electricity endangering anyone working in the area or attempting to shut off circuits at the main distribution panel. The water inside wall panels can enter the electrical conduit system unseen, leading to dangerous situations. SERVPRO technicians always check for live circuits and follow a common sense approach:
- Turn off circuit breakers providing power to damaged areas
- If in doubt, turn off all circuit breakers
- A licensed electrician may be required to complete an inspection
- Add lockout tags on the panel
- Post signage on the panel indicating “Work in Progress, Do not reset breakers.”
- If the electrical panel is underwater or too dangerous to reach, turn off the power to the building
Once it is safe to enter the premises, SERVPRO utilizes truck-mounted generators powering sump pumps, water extractors, air movers, and dehumidifiers to remove standing water and dry the area. SERVPRO checks all cavities inside walls and floors for water and high moisture levels to avoid secondary damage to structure and mold infestations.
Additional safety steps that building owners should consider in these situations include:
- Utilize Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters to prevent high electrical current
- Check tools, cords, and accessories for damage.
- Avoid using lightweight light gauge extension cords to power equipment.
- Before energizing the electrical panel and circuits, have a qualified electrician verify all electrical circuits are safe to use.
- Ensure all equipment and appliances are properly dried and safe to use.
Call SERVPRO of East Raleigh / Zebulon for water restoration services. We provide service to Raleigh and nearby areas. We can help 24/7. Call (919) 250-0455.